Are you comfortable with:
- Chaos – startups are disorganized
- Uncertainty – startups never go per plan
- Resilient – at times you will fail – badly. How quickly will you recover?
- Agile – you may find the real opportunities for your company was somewhere else. Can you recognize and capitalize on them?
- Creative / Pattern Recognition – can you think “out of the box?” Or if not, can you recognize patterns others miss?
- Passionate – is the company/product/customers the most important thing in your life? 24/7?
- Tenacious – can you keep going when everyone else gives up? Can you keep giving 200% despite all the naysayers who don’t believe in your idea?
- Articulate – can you create a reality distortion field and have others see and share your vision and passion?
And I remind them that they should be bringing some type of domain expertise (technical or business) to the table.
This is the minimum feature set for founders.
KDYKES: The top 2 – chaos & uncertainty – are seriously important. If you don’t have the stomach for it – don’t take yourself and your family down that road!!